Okay, its time it was said......

Wordy Rapping with Chris and Tina

Okay, its time it was said......

Postby GRANDPAALLEWIS on October 23rd, 2010, 2:18 am

A few observations........

These two are nothing without David. I was as hurt as anyone when the band disbanded. Any objective look now show the musicians that play with David now are vastly superior to these two. You can make the case that the music was better then ( I don't agree ) but the folks playing with David now make these two look like lightweights.

The numerous show cancellations are likely indicative of very soft support. I would not see them if the show was free. The song they played in " Stop Making Sense" was a distraction to the flow and really forced.

I kinda feel bad for Jerry.

It's a shame Tina ran her mouth about David. WHAT A STOOGE! They could have made great music together longer, although at some point it would have ended.

Enjoy your little "tour" Chris and Tina. The Catskills can't be far off...
GRANDPAALLEWIS
Mojique

Re: Okay, its time it was said......

Postby mscott on October 23rd, 2010, 7:29 am

I agree that the musicians he is playing with now are exceptional but the chemistry he had with the TH members was very special and he would not be where he is today without that. I love the music he is doing now by the way.

You could put the best drummer in the world with the best basist, singer, percussionist guitarist keyboard player and you could have music that somehow doesn't sound right, too polished.

I think TH reforming to make a big band and a small band record would be amazing especially if the right musicians were picked for te big band

Mick
mscott
Radio Head

Postby Ruben on October 23rd, 2010, 3:32 pm

Man, it is completely unfair to say that. Have you ever listened to Live @ the Clubhouse? It is, for me, one of the best live albums in music history. I've listened to thousands of live albums and songs, and I honestly couldn't find anything more interesting and entertaining than this album. It's powerful, it's musically amazing (they way they reworked some of their older stuff, people should learn), and the sound quality is absolutely mindlowing, I never get tired of it. It is probably the best sounding album I have ever heard. For me, It equals SMS. So it is not fair to say that "these are nothing without DB". In fact they are everything without DB, because they can do what they want, they experiment as much as they want, they have fun, and the result is funky, powerful and entertaining. It rocks. Ok, you may not like Genius of Love, or their performance on SMS, but you can't judge them just by that. I mean just listen to Suboceana live from the Clubhouse, or the Close to the Bone album (the remastered version from the deluxe edition of the debut album), or "Lesbians By the Lake", you will understand what I mean. "Don't Say No" is one of my favourite pop tracks from the 80s. What they do is DIFFERENT from what DB is doing with his solo career, not better or worse. And they are quite amazing on their own, because they are pros. BTW, can't wait for a new TTC album of brand new recordings. I mean, with enough promotion and a good first single... :biere:
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby iRene on October 23rd, 2010, 8:22 pm

I never saw Talking Heads live, but I've seen Tom Tom Club and they rock. Different from Talking Heads of course (and IMHO Talking Heads will never be outclassed), but still a fine band. See for yourself if you can, then let us know what you think.
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby Mr.DRC on October 24th, 2010, 3:40 pm

I am on the fence.It is a white-picket one.The points are kinda sharp and the splinters barbed.In all honesty,I choose this intrusion over my head being up it...Nuff' said.

I know someone I know who understands me.You may not.At the present that someone is below me.The reality is we inhabit the selfsame universe.I am blessed.

DRC
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby hansdevente on October 24th, 2010, 4:09 pm

to grandpa,

i had dinner with chris and tina in amsterdam yesterday, they were featured guests on the ADE, the amsterdam dance event,the world biggest dj/club/publisher confab, with people like tiesto and armin van buuren.the reason they were there is that their music is still very valid,it is sampled(both TH and TTC intstramentals)extensively. and they are highly respected as a driving rythmtandem .DB was nowhere....

and another thing, about date cancellations, have you SEEN the economy lately.on my last swing thru the midwest,whole shopping malls were closed,and whole house subdivions for sale.
I almost bought a house in an upperclass neighboor hood in scottsdale,near phoenix,with a pool for 79 thousand dollars,but was assured by the neigbours when we looked there ,that i should wait a little longer, cause prices still drop...

for a picture see my blog
http://thedeventefamily.blogspot.com/
take a look at these hans,(born under punches)
hansdevente
Ruby Dear

Postby Karen B on October 24th, 2010, 4:54 pm

The basic character of this board is not to indulge in a lack of respect of others. You are entitled to your opinion, of course. I've seen them all before and after. Warts and all. I've seen some of DB's solo bombs in smaller venues. I didn't think they were though. I don't care what they say about that boy, just kidding :-) I am a fan of all the facets of the group that was TH. Just as I have very much enjoyed the quality progression of others after life in group collaborations.
Karen B
Mojique

Postby hansdevente on October 24th, 2010, 5:50 pm

what i am trying to say is this, this is a FAN site for chrissake
the catskill remark is simply uncalled for, as is calling any member of the band (current or previous) names.
i know that everybody is entitled to their opinion, which reminds me of a remark that clint eastwood once made. just google it, i am not gonna repeat it here.

if anyone wants to reach me,
to discuss this outside the forum
mail me at
deventefamily@gmail.com
hansdevente
Ruby Dear

Postby Buglet on October 24th, 2010, 6:26 pm

If it has to come down to taking sides then I'm there for David. Talking Heads was 80% DB as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, C,T & J contributed to the band, but even without them I'm sure David would have formed and fronted a fantastic band playing his songs (just as he has done successfully since the demise of the original band). David's tours certainly are amazing, and he has selected some truly talented musicians to accompany him. Unfortunately I was never lucky enough to see TH live.

I can't comment on current TTC stuff, nor have I ever seen them live. However, I was never that taken with their material, and I agree that the inclusion of Genius of Love in SMS was possibly a mistake. Technically Tina is an accomplished bass player, I'll grant her that. I appreciate that some members will automatically defend C & T or TTC because of certain connections and friendships, but in return those people need to appreciate that in some TH fans' minds Tina went too far. Period.

TTC clearly have fans, and it's a shame that shows have been canceled. I don't necessarily believe that poor ticket sales can be blamed on the recession. I bet that if David announced another tour it would sell out just as the last one did.
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby cyberyukon on October 24th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Methinks we should all be glad that both camps have remained so active and relevant in the music industry community.
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Karen B on October 25th, 2010, 12:32 am

Methinks right, Mister. Enjoy!
Karen B
Mojique

Postby Mr.DRC on October 25th, 2010, 12:34 am

if anyone wants to reach me,
to discuss this outside the forum
mail me at
deventefamily@gmail.com[/quote]

Well,hansdevente.Perhaps not anything about the actual subject matter of this thread.The appalling insensitivity of your 'house hunting' soiree does though merit attention.Some folks,both here in the UK and US too,struggle to put food on the table.I mean wholesome,nourishing food-not the crap my State Benefits Mandarins believe will feed the lumpen prole.Yep,buddy,SEEN the economy-both side of The Pond.I fuckin' work
in the bowels of the ship for chrissakes.Maybe next time you take a carefree 'swing' through any neighbourhood,spare a thought for the poor feckers pawing at your coat-tails.They might just be tryin' to survive a while longer.
Oh, btw. ' DB was nowhere...' The words, simply,uncalled and remark ring any bells?
Also btw. We discuss things on-forum, clears the air, removes any foul-smelling odours... :evil:

DRC
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby hansdevente on October 25th, 2010, 11:40 am

i am not gonna discuss it further
here.
fioran extensive answer see my blog
hansdevente
Ruby Dear

Postby hansdevente on October 25th, 2010, 12:27 pm

i forgot to post the adres of my blog
http://thedeventefamily.blogspot.com/20 ... mclub.html

and this will also conclude my posting here on this forum,I have been a very good friend to all the talking heads for 33 years now,and simply refuse to be maligned here by anyone , i am to old for that sh*t.
all i did was defend my friends against unfair attacks.
so, francey you can delete my membership here.a forum that is home to people like grandpa al lewis
is not my forum.

bye everyone, if you want to reply post a comment on my blog, since i will not return here.
hansdevente
Ruby Dear

Postby Mr.DRC on October 25th, 2010, 1:44 pm

People Like Us , perchance :?: :!: :arrow:
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Buglet on October 26th, 2010, 3:57 pm

why do I feel like I'm back in playschool...?
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Karen B on October 26th, 2010, 6:02 pm

could take advantage, what's depressing is paying on a house that is worth half the balance.
Don't leave Hans, we loved hearing about our kids on the road. And as you can see, there are many here who love TTC, and love hearing about them.
I first saw them at a huge international music event, groups from the Philipines, Europe, you name it, it was a great day, and TTC rocked. I was hoping they would be back at the Festival of Colors this year.
As for you grandpa, eat some prunes and run along.
Karen B
Mojique

Postby Jerry on October 27th, 2010, 7:42 pm

TH were always a balancing act of the 4 players. That ties in with the band writing credits.

Since the split, DB has the rhythm & still has the pop skills. TTC are riffing on a groove with a nod to good old school funk.
"Everything is finite"
Jerry
Mojique

Postby Karen B on October 28th, 2010, 11:02 pm

I love them all!
Karen B
Mojique

Postby cyberyukon on November 5th, 2010, 7:16 am

I just wish they never, ever, EVER did that song "Our House in the Middle of the Street." Clearly Talking Heads at their most British.

:rockdude: :rockdude:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Next

Return to TOM TOM CLUB