Tom Tom's first live performance?

Wordy Rapping with Chris and Tina

Tom Tom's first live performance?

Postby TotallySurreal on September 20th, 2011, 7:39 am

I was reading an interview w/Chris and Tina and Chris mentioned that, after the success of Genius of Love, they were "under pressure to perform live" and then mentions Stop Making Sense -- was that really Tom Tom Club's first live performance?

I'd think they'd've at least played a couple of NYC clubs long before that.
TotallySurreal
Little Creature

Re: Tom Tom's first live performance?

Postby francey on September 24th, 2011, 9:42 am

TTX first toured as opening act for Talking Heads on several occassions in the early 80s. Recordings exist of Montreux Jazz Festival '81, a show in Holland etc. For the SMS tour they integrated "Genius of Love" in the set, as it was such a big global success (and to give DB time to put on his big suit).

TotallySurreal wrote:I was reading an interview w/Chris and Tina and Chris mentioned that, after the success of Genius of Love, they were "under pressure to perform live" and then mentions Stop Making Sense -- was that really Tom Tom Club's first live performance?

I'd think they'd've at least played a couple of NYC clubs long before that.
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby TotallySurreal on October 2nd, 2011, 8:19 am

Thx, Francey!

It's still odd that there seems to be no record of them -- that I can find so far -- performing at some of the funk clubs of the early '80s...

Talking Heads' members were so well ensconced in the NYC club scene, Frantz & Weymouth could've probably walked into any of the funk clubs back then and gotten a gig -- even if that wasn't their audience in the Heads.

Especially once that first album caught on overseas and Sire over here in the U.S. ended up being embarrassed that they hadn't released it.

Thanks again for info tho' on Montreaux and Holland!
TotallySurreal
Little Creature

Postby cyberyukon on November 20th, 2011, 5:36 am

I can tell you that if Frantz and Weymouth walked into my living room they would be guaranteed a gig...

(heh, heh!)

:blbl: :blbl:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Mr.DRC on November 21st, 2011, 3:19 am

cyberyukon wrote:I can tell you that if Frantz and Weymouth walked into my living room they would be guaranteed a gig...

(heh, heh!)

:blbl: :blbl:

Careful now,Chris. I'm sure he's Eddie Fewtrell in disguise ;)

(Did you see what I did there,Cyber? You would if you had been at Barberella's in 77.Whoops! Did I slip in a One-Upmanship reference there? Norty Don!) :P

"Seems like the old-timers are afoot..." Oscar WildWildLife.
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Return to TOM TOM CLUB