Requested: Rising Sun Report!!

Wordy Rapping with Chris and Tina

Requested: Rising Sun Report!!

Postby cyberyukon on August 9th, 2009, 11:28 pm

So how about a report from everyone in the land of the Rising Sun?
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Re: Requested: Rising Sun Report!!

Postby Mr.DRC on August 9th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Hear! Hear!

From what I hear hear, it be a tad difficult to type steadily round Tokyo way ;)

Don Anchorman C.
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Chris on August 13th, 2009, 9:45 am

Konichiwa!

Just got back from Japan. Great shows in both Tokyo and Osaka.The band was more smokin' than ever! Really wonderful fans, mostly young and keenly enthusiastic. Had two days off in Tokyo to explore Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku and Shinagawa. Whew, it was hot and humid, but thrilling. Had a fine dinner with our old friends Toshi and Hajime from the band PLASTICS who we met on our first trip to Japan back in 1979 when they designed the program for our shows and who opened for Talking Heads in Central Park in 1981. We met and hung out with the Ting Tings, who were really great. Saw Jeffrey Hooper who did sound for the Speaking In Tongues tour that became STOP MAKING SENSE, as well as many a Tom Tom Club show. He was there with Elvis Costello and The Imposters and hasn't lost a bit of his Welsh charm.
Did a full day of walking around Kyoto the day after the show in Osaka. Saw the Temple of 1000 Buddahs as well as hundreds of other fascinating and beautiful shrines.

Everyone hated to leave......FRANCEY is still there.....taking it all in with great aplomb.

Cheers and warm regards to all,

Chris
Chris
Drummer

Postby francey on August 14th, 2009, 2:15 pm

TTC rocked the Summer Sonic festival - two of their best gigs ever, if I may say so. Japan is a great place to see bands - people are actually coming to see the bands and hear the music and are nice and appreciative (what a difference with the philistines in my home country...) In Osaka the VJs played some very nice TTC visuals on the backdrop, which made it even more memorable.

I'm still in Japan (Hiroshima at the moment), but will sort out some pics (live and maybe some backstage shots?) or a live clip or two for the Tom Tom Club site when I'm back home.

Arigato!

Frank-san.
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby cyberyukon on August 27th, 2009, 5:29 am

And yet...strangely...no photos.

Hmmm. I'm starting to think the whole thing is just a conspiracy...an evil plot, perhaps. Because surely there would be lots of cool photos to see if it ....really.........did........happen......................

:blbl:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Chris on August 27th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Chris
Drummer

Postby Chris on August 27th, 2009, 5:19 pm

oh, and from the JAPAN TIMES..... :rockdude:

The best of the rest at the fest

Sexiest performer: Tina Weymouth, 58, of Tom Tom Club and former Talking Head, who can still dance a mean boogaloo.

Best-dressed: Datarock, with their identical red hoodie outfits.

Best-dressed runner-up: CSS's Lovefoxx with her blindingly sequined catsuit.

Most hirsute: Mastodon

Hardest worker: The mashup DJ Girl Talk (Gregg Gillis), who played approximately 5,000 records in 30 minutes, many at the same time.

Most likely to get asked back next year: French guitar band Phoenix, who proclaimed Summer Sonic to be "the best rock festival in the world."

Japanese band with the brightest future: The rock power trio andymori, who played Sunday at 10:30 a.m.
Chris
Drummer

Postby francey on August 28th, 2009, 8:23 am

We're working on a tour report page for tomtomclub.com
stay tuned !

F>

cyberyukon wrote:And yet...strangely...no photos.

Hmmm. I'm starting to think the whole thing is just a conspiracy...an evil plot, perhaps. Because surely there would be lots of cool photos to see if it ....really.........did........happen......................

:blbl:
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Return to TOM TOM CLUB